There are some things in life that are guaranteed. One of them is that we will face obstacles. I don’t care who you are, at some point in your life, you will have a hurdle you are going to overcome. Many times we let the roadblocks stop us. When we let them stop us, we don’t learn, grow, or make our lives (or anyone else’s life) better. You deserve to live your life to the max and to do that, you need to overcome those obstacles. Here are 5 strategies that will help you do just that!
1) Face it as a challenge to learn and grow from. Instead of viewing the obstacle as something that’s trying to beat you down, face it as a challenge. What can you learn from it? What’s something that you can take-a-way and build on? It comes down to your mindset. View it as a learning experience instead of a roadblock and you will start to see solutions and grow!
2) Create a game plan to achieve the end result? Most likely the obstacle came up on your way to a goal. Cool! Congrats on going after a goal! Make sure you have a game plan to achieve that goal. That means making sure your goal is a SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relative, and Time-Bound) Goal. You can learn more about that by checking out the “Ditch the Resolution” episode. Then make benchmarks with deadlines that help you achieve your goal and create tasks that help you reach those benchmarks. Lastly, you might need to adjust your plan. Sometimes the obstacles force us to pivot. So pivot! Rework your plan and get back to going after your goals!
3) Keep your eye on the prize! Whether it’s a prize, a goal, or a dream, keep your eyes on it. When we hit an obstacle we are forced to take our eye off the prize and can get buried with the things slowing us down or stopping us that we lose sight of our goal/dream/prize. Don’t let that happen to you. Take a moment and find your focus on the prize and then keep going!
4) Remember your reason why. Why do you want to achieve that goal or dream? Seriously why? Discovering and knowing your reason why helps you pick yourself back up after a roadblock and keep going. You can have multiple reasons why for each goal. Some are surface level reasons, and those are great. The best ones are your “root” reasons why. Those are the ones that hit you at the core and strike your emotions. All reasons why will help you push on but the “root” reason why will help you when life knocks you down hard.
5) Visualize and realize reaching your goal/dream. Take a note from my friend and 2x Olympian Tasha Danvers and visualize yourself as you reach your goal and dream. What does it look like? Feel like? Sound and smell like? Don’t just stop at the moment you reach your goal, what about 5 minutes after, 10 minutes after, the next day. Then, realize it by following your plan to make it happen. By doing both, visualize and realize, you are increasing your chances to dominate and crush your goal!
I know you can overcome the obstacles life throws your way and live your life to the max! I would love to hear what you think about the “5 Ways to Overcome Obstacle” episode. Please send me a message on social media at @Jonesinfor or email me at [email protected] Thank you and make today amazing!